*Existing bail terms still apply for the man. 

A 38-year old Clare man was returned for trial in relation to the unlawful possession of 36 videos and 77 images of child pornography.

At Ennis District Court on Wednesday, Judge Alec Gabbett returned the man for trial to the current sittings of Ennis Circuit Court.

Judge Gabbett made the return after Garda Emmet Roche gave evidence of serving the Book of Evidence in the case on Wednesday morning.

In the case, the man is charged with at his Clare home on September 18th 2022 having in his possession the 36 videos and 77 images of child pornography as defined by Section 2 of the Child Trafficking and Porn Act 1998.

The charge is contrary to Section 6 of the Child Trafficking and Porn Act 1998.

Judge Gabbett told the man that if an alibi forms any part of his defence, his solicitor, John Casey was to inform the State within 14 days.

Judge Gabbett said that an alibi probably doesn’t apply in such a case.

Solicitor, John Casey for the accused applied for legal aid and Judge Gabbett granted legal aid for Mr Casey and a barrister to represent the accused in the circuit court.

Judge Gabbett made no order that reporting restrictions be lifted.

When the case first came before the court last month, Judge Gabbett ruled that reporting restrictions be in place for now as the images contain minors “but I am not entirely sure that it is merited”.

Judge Gabbett said that the vigilante issue in such cases had to be considered when parties are identified “but that is out of my control”.

Sgt John Burke told the court at the time, “The accused wouldn’t know the alleged victim as such and I don’t know if reporting restrictions apply”.

Judge Gabbett remanded the accused on existing bail terms to appear at the current sessions of Ennis Circuit Court.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.