*Photograph: John Mangan

Five more deaths and 19 extra cases of COVID-19 have been recorded in the Republic of Ireland while in Co Clare there has been no new case in a full week.

Co Clare has now gone a full week without a single additional case of COVID-19. It is the first time since mid-March that no new case has been recorded in a seven day period for the county. To date, 368 people have been classed as confirmed cases in the county, many of whom have since recovered.

A further five deaths have been confirmed by the Health Protection Surveillance Centre. The death toll in the country is now 1,695 following the de-notification of one death.

In what was over double the amount of additional cases announced yesterday, the HPSC revealed that 19 more individuals had tested positive for the virus. Since the outbreak of COVID-19, there have been 25,234 confirmed cases with three de-notified since yesterday.

Director of the National Virus Reference Lab, Dr Cillian De Gascun, has reiterated that face coverings should be worn when physical distancing cannot be maintained. Reports from across Co Clare are that only a minority of people have applied this advice.

Plans are underway to have the country “almost fully open” by mid-July, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar (FG) stated on Wednesday. As part of this, the reopening of hairdressers and beauty salons is tipped to be brought forward from the previously scheduled July 20th.

Ireland’s recovery rate is now at 92%, Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Dr Ronan Glynn confirmed on Wednesday evening. “While it is very welcome that the vast majority of people who contracted COVID-19 have recovered from the acute phase of their illness, there are many who continue to experience longer term effects including fatigue and decreased exercise capacity”.

A meeting of the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) is to take place on Thursday morning.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
newmarket celtic vs bridge utd 15-05-26 jack kelly conor mcdaid david mccarthy 1
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.