*Joe Carey and Heather Humphreys. Photograph: Ruth Griffin

CLARE TD, Joe Carey (FG) is not expected to contest the next General Election but the Carey family are remaining tight-lipped on his intentions or if an alternative candidate will be put forward.

Twelve months ago, Deputy Carey took ill which resulted in his admission to the cardiac unit of University Hospital Limerick (UHL) having spent days on a trolley at the region’s main hospital.

A four-term TD, Joe has not made any public appearances since then as he continues his recovery. In his absence, Joe’s siblings Donal and Leonore along with parliamentary assistant Ger O’Halloran (FG) have been his representatives at meetings and events.

His illness has left Clare with three of its four TDs for twelve months and The Clare Echo understands that Deputy Carey will not be contesting the next General Election.

Deputy Carey has not responded to media requests from any outlet after his initial statement to advise that he was unwell and would be on sick leave.

Reports are strengthening in political circles and among local members of Fine Gael have that Leonore Carey will be contesting the next General Election in place of her brother.

When questioned by The Clare Echo on whether she would be going forward, Leonore stated, “there is no comment because there is no comment to make”. She refused to be drawn on speculation on whether she would allow her name into the ring and could not provide an update on the health of her brother.

Efforts to once again contact Deputy Carey over the past week have been unsuccessful. On Wednesday, The Clare Echo visited his constituency office where a representative was unable to provide clarity on whether the TD would be remaining in politics.

Fine Gael’s press office in Dublin were also requested to comment.

Locally party members are anxious to get some clarity on whether their own TD will be fit to return to politics. There is also a sense of frustration among officials in Clare that they have not been entrusted to receive any update regarding Carey’s health and intentions.

“He has been out of circulation for a year now and everything tells us he is not standing,” one member said.

Another party source said an official decision from Deputy Carey can only be made six months out from a General Election to entitle him to full pension benefits while candidates in the local election are concerned any announcement prior to June 7th could weaken their chances.

Joe’s absence from any Fine Gael ticket in Clare would greatly weaken their chances of maintaining a seat for the party which may lead to strong pressure being put on current Mayor of Clare, Cllr Joe Cooney (FG) to consider allowing his name forward.

Currently Fine Gael’s spokesperson on Transport, Joe is Chairperson of the Oireachtas Committee on Transport and Communications. He was first elected to the Dáil in May 2007, taking the fourth seat in the Clare constituency to win a seat for Fine Gael in the county for the first time in twenty years in what was his first General Election. Prior to this, he served on Clare County Council from 1999 and received the highest vote of all elected councillors in 2004.

Related News

dermot hayes 1-2
'He gave everything to the community' - memorial bench for Dermot Hayes requested for new dialysis unit
tom nolan jennifer carroll macneill 1
West Clare doctor tackles Health Minister over lack of investment in primary healthcare
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
Latest News
st josephs doora barefield vs clooney quin 15-03-26 eoin lahiffe daragh keogh 1
Seven quarter-final spots filled in Clare Cup following penultimate round
dermot hayes 1-2
'He gave everything to the community' - memorial bench for Dermot Hayes requested for new dialysis unit
lorna mcnamara 1-2
Player of the month award for Lorna Mc
atlantic aviation group
Profits increased threefold to €3.12m at Atlantic Aviation Group
adrian trueick 1-2
Co-founder of Knight Frank Ireland appointed to board of Shannon Airport Group
Premium
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.