ONGOING controversy surrounding the wearing of skorts in camogie was raised within the Chamber of Clare County Council this week.

Councillors stood for eleven seconds in what they described as a “stand in solidarity” with camogie players across the county and country.

A special Congress is to take place on May 22nd where a motion to resolve the controversy surrounding players being forced to wear skorts will be put to a vote.

In a challenge last week, both Clare and Galway players wore shorts as opposed to skorts in protest of the rule. Saturday’s Munster final was cancelled by the Munster Camogie Association after it emerged both Cork and Waterford were to defy the rule.

Ennis based Cllr Antoinette Baker Bashua (FF) raised the matter at Monday’s meeting of Clare County Council. “I would like us to all stand in solidarity with camogie players to exercise their right to choose on skorts”.

Mayor of Clare, Cllr Alan O’Callaghan (FF) advised his colleague, “we’ve to be careful of standing orders”. He said a proposal was needed in writing to allow the matter be discussed.

Cllr Tommy Guilfoyle (SF) seconded the proposal with a unianmous show of hands from elected members on the floor to show their support to allow the matter be raised.

“We were all so excited to see our male hurlers in an All-Ireland final but to see a Munster camogie final pulled sixteen hours before it was due to go ahead is a disgrace,” stated Cllr Baker Bashua. She asked councillors to join her to “stand in solidarity” with camogie players.

They stood for a total of eleven seconds before resuming their seats and the order of business.

Editor of TheJournal.ie, Sinead O’Carroll speaking on Today With Claire Byrne noted the actions of politicians in raising the skort debate including Sinn Féin TDs wearing shorts to the Dáil and said there is a desire among camogie players that politicians now show the same energy and enthusiasm in ensuring there is adequate facilities and funding put towards the sport.

Related News

clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
glencurran cave 1
Ireland's first wildcat bones dating back 5,500 years uncovered in The Burren
jennifer carroll macneill 1-2
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
donal carey joe 1
Carey remembered as a political hero
Latest News
glencurran cave 1
Ireland's first wildcat bones dating back 5,500 years uncovered in The Burren
los paddys continental ballynacally
Christmas market is Ballynacally bound
jennifer carroll macneill 1-2
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
donal carey joe 1
Carey remembered as a political hero
kerry v clare 04-05-25 manus doherty keith evans darragh burns evan cahill 1
Clare to face Kerry in Munster semi-final
Premium
Lisdoonvarna's healing waters underline need to improve Sulphur Bridge
Éire Óg not as bad as scoreline suggests - Daniels
Shane finding it 'surreal' to be preparing for Munster final with Éire Óg
No new hospital for Ennis
Record €200m Council budget passed with 8% hike in commercial rates

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.