A request for easing of restrictions to have a “meaningful” Holy Week has been made by the Catholic Church to the Irish Government.

Currently under Level 5 restrictions, religious services are held online with places of worship open for private prayer. Funeral attendance is capped at ten people with a maximum of 6 guests allowed for a wedding.

Leeway has been sought by the Catholic Church to allow more attendees for services during Holy Week which begins on Sunday (March 28th) and concludes on Saturday April 3rd. Speaking to The Clare Echo, Bishop Fintan Monahan acknowledged that a review from the Government would not be announced until April 5th, by which Easter Weekend would be over.

“It may not be at a possibility for Holy Week, if that is the case and we expect that it is the ceremonies will just be online like they were last year which will be disappointing but at the same time it is understandable in the circumstances with the high numbers in the multiple hundreds,” Bishop Monahan conceded.

Should lower levels of restrictions be imposed, the Catholic Church are anxious that smaller gatherings be allowed in church settings. “Technically we’re not supposed to have people present until Level 2 which could be way out there in summer, they did give us an exemption at Christmas time on Level 3 and that is why we had ceremonies at Christmas. We’re hopeful but it could be May or June before any meaningful gatherings of people will be there”.

He continued, “We’re hopeful and we have appealed to have gatherings for Easter, at this stage we don’t expect we will and it will be online. We hope some leeway will be given after that for the review on April 5th”.

Bishop Monahan encouraged parishioners in the Diocese of Killaloe to link in with online to pray over Easter if their request is denied. “The vaccine is very close to being at a level where it is getting much safer and that will come eventually, better times are on the horizon, a new dawn will hopefully be there for us all, we will keep praying that it happens sooner rather than later”.

Outdoor celebrations should be considered, Clare TD Michael McNamara (IND) believed. He stated that both the Government and Church hierarchies have been cautious in their approaches to date. The situation in Ireland regarding public worship is “almost unique,” he flagged.

Deputy McNamara said “it would be outrageous if the State allowed worship of vaccinated persons” and refused entry for others. Religion offers meaning to people’s lives, “we have to accommodate what gives life meaning,” he told The Clare Echo.

As prayers are made to accelerate the roll-out of the COVID-19 vaccine, Deputy McNamara admitted he understood why it was moving at this pace. As of the weekend, 10 percent of the population has received their first dose. “You can’t administer something you don’t have. However, I am sceptical of portraying something as a magic bullet if you don’t have the magic bullet”.

Meanwhile, the decision to fine Cavan priest Fr PJ Hughes €500 for saying mass demonstrated “a lack of clarity” in the legislation signed into law by Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly (FF) according to Deputy McNamara.

Related News

saoirse lillis mcmahon 1
'Our goodbyes were stolen' by drinking motorist who killed Michael, say family
shannon hospitality
Shannon College of Hotel Management marks 75th anniversary
quin biodiversity
Clare village buzzes with biodiversity as they welcome Minister Christopher O'Sullivan
timmy dooley jennifer carroll macneill joe cooney 1-2
Minister defends decision to choose new hospital for region before visiting Clare
Latest News
quin biodiversity
Clare village buzzes with biodiversity as they welcome Minister Christopher O'Sullivan
Tom Micks Photography
From Doolin to Dance World Cup - Broadway Dancers set for Dublin
st michaels killmhill
West clare first year students set for All Ireland Final
kilmurry ibrickane vs éire óg 02-05-26 gary twomey 1
Ennistymon's Twomey to take charge of Munster minor final
timmy dooley jennifer carroll macneill joe cooney 1-2
Minister defends decision to choose new hospital for region before visiting Clare
Premium
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.