Aer Lingus have announced that its staff at Shannon Airport will be laid off the next three months.

129 inflight service and ground operations staff working for Aer Lingus at Shannon Airport will be put on the Pandemic Unemployment Payment for the three-month duration of the lay-offs. They had been on the temporary wage subsidy scheme and more recently on the employment wage subsidy.

Full year results of Aer Lingus were published on Friday which showed a record operating loss of €361m for 2020. “This represents the largest ever loss in the airline’s history and demonstrates the profound impact of COVID-19,” a statement from the carrier outlined.

No Aer Lingus flights have operated to or from Shannon Airport since April 5th 2020. As part of a review of its operations at Shannon, the airline concluded “that it is not sustainable to continue to roster staff to the current levels when there is no work available” leading to the temporary unpaid lay-offs of all 129 Inflight Service and Ground Operations March 8th to June 7th of this year.

A spokesperson revealed, “This may also be subject to further extension or change based on work requirements in Shannon”. A “clear exit plan” from the current restrictions has been sought by Aer Lingus.

Clare TD, Cathal Crowe (FF) said the decision was “majorly disappointing and a real blow for its Shannon workers, who have faced almost a year of stress and anxiety about their jobs”. He noted that Aer Lingus received a €150m state loan from Pandemic Stabilisation and Recovery Fund.

Crowe who is Fianna Fáil’s spokesperson on aviation called for a pathway back to flights. “As people continue to be vaccinated on an accelerated basis, we need to examine the possibility of a Covid passport, so that those who have been immunised can take to the skies again. I would also question if Aer Lingus should still be continuing to advertise flights from Shannon.

“I’ve been made aware of a number of people who have booked flights for down the line under the illusion that they would be flying from Shannon, only to receive an automated email to say that they will in fact be flying from Dublin instead. This, at a time when aviation is at its lowest ebb, builds false hope in consumers and is misleading. If they’re flying from Dublin only – which, let me stress, nobody likes – then they need to be honest with customer base at this time,” the Meelick native added.

SIPTU’s Aviation Sectoral head Neil McGowan, who represents ground and ramp staff at Shannon, said it was devastating news for the staff. He stressed the need for further Government supports for the aviation sector and flagged that it will be the last sector to recover from this crisis.

Senator Timmy Dooley (FF) accused Aer Lingus of having “a very short-sighted approach” by failing to recognise the loyalty of its staff in what he termed “another body blow to the Mid-West aviation and tourism sector”.

Dooley stated, “It is really disappointing that Aer Lingus are treating their loyal staff in such a manner – they have remained loyal to the brand over the years and it’s a foolhardy move to force them onto social welfare for the next three months. Aer Lingus should think of the long-term damage to the brand by this action. The aviation sector is facing unprecedented challenges due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic and the Government needs to do much more for the tourism and aviation sector”.

Related News

TMP_8382 padraic hayes
Clare Leader Forum pushing for once-off emergency cost of disability payment
shannon airport terminal upgrade 1-2
Construction starts on €15m upgrade of arrivals area in Shannon Airport
Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
donna mcgettigan 1
AI sexualised images must be criminalised immediately says Clare TD Donna
Latest News
shannon airport terminal upgrade 1-2
Construction starts on €15m upgrade of arrivals area in Shannon Airport
Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 stephen ryan 2
Clare footballers release four weeks of tension by collecting first league win
donna mcgettigan 1
AI sexualised images must be criminalised immediately says Clare TD Donna
computer keyboard type 1
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
Premium
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory
Clare footballers leap into gear with six point win over Fermanagh
Avenue, Bridge, Dons & Tulla progress to last 16 of Clare Cup
GALLERY: O'Callaghans Mills celebrate promotion to top tier at victory social
McNamara rescues a draw for Clare in capital league opener

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.