The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has directed that the case against a 32-year old chef accused of throwing a cup of urine into the face of a Garda at Ennis Garda Station be heard in the district court.

Joel Lonia of no fixed abode has remained in prison on remand since December 12th in connection with the assault of two Gardai while being detained at Ennis Garda Station in the early hours of December 12th.

At Ennis District Court on Wednesday, Sgt Aiden Lonergan told Judge Alec Gabbett that the DPP has directed that the case he heard in the district court.

Sgt Lonergan said that arising from the DPP directions, Gardai were now in a position to furnish disclosure of documents in the case to solicitor, Shiofra Hassett for the accused.

Mr Lonia was appearing in court from prison via video-link and Sgt Lonergan said that the case could be adjourned for a further two weeks to January 18th for disclosure to be made.

Giving evidence during a bail hearing last month for Mr Lonia, Garda Sebastian Pychynski said that it will be alleged that while Mr Lonia was being detained at Ennis Garda Station, a Garda on the night-shift at the station opened a hatch to a cell door and had a cup of urine thrown into his face by Mr Lonia.

During the course of the bail hearing where Gardai were opposing bail for Mr Lonia, Mr Lonia said: “I am sorry about that. I want to apologise.”

Along with the alleged ‘urine’ assault, Mr Lonia is also charged with the assault of another Garda where the accused is alleged to have thrown Coca Cola into the face of a second Garda’s face through the cell door hatch.

Mr Lonia also apologised for the second alleged assault.

Mr Lonia was also before the court for three theft charges at the Ennis branch of Penney’s on December 11th where he is accused of stealing goods to the value of €68 that included a military jacket and hiking boots along with a public order charge near the Template Hotel in Ennis.

When charged and cautioned, Garda Pychynski said the accused replied ‘suck my d**k’ at 11.30pm on Sunday night, December 11th at Ennis Garda Station.

Judge Mary Larkin refused bail stating that she was not satisfied that any promises that Mr Lonia gives not to breach the law will be upheld.

Judge Larkin stated: “Also the multiplicity of alleged offences over the past week shows that he is likely to commit further offences.”

In evidence, Mr Lonia said: “I have no home. I have been sleeping outside.”

Mr Lonia said: “I have been sleeping in a Dublin Garda Station and in Ennis Garda Station a number of times.”

Mr Lonia has applied for accommodation to Clare County Council but without any success so far.

Mr Lonia said that he had been receiving €206 per week in social welfare payments and that has now been reduced to €175. He said: “I am looking for a job. I am a chef.”

Sgt Lonergan said to Mr Lonia “while there is great empathy for the position you find yourself in, there is concern that you will commit further alleged thefts”.

Mr Lonia said: “I won’t.”

Judge Gabbett remanded Mr Lonia in custody to January 18th to Ennis District Court.

Related News

dermot hayes 1-2
'He gave everything to the community' - memorial bench for Dermot Hayes requested for new dialysis unit
tom nolan jennifer carroll macneill 1
West Clare doctor tackles Health Minister over lack of investment in primary healthcare
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
Latest News
st josephs doora barefield vs clooney quin 15-03-26 eoin lahiffe daragh keogh 1
Seven quarter-final spots filled in Clare Cup following penultimate round
dermot hayes 1-2
'He gave everything to the community' - memorial bench for Dermot Hayes requested for new dialysis unit
lorna mcnamara 1-2
Player of the month award for Lorna Mc
atlantic aviation group
Profits increased threefold to €3.12m at Atlantic Aviation Group
adrian trueick 1-2
Co-founder of Knight Frank Ireland appointed to board of Shannon Airport Group
Premium
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.