*Social distancing ducks at the River Fergus. Photograph: John Mangan

70% of personnel diagnosed with COVID-19 to date have recovered with confirmation of a further 31 deaths, 376 cases in the Republic of Ireland and 3 in Clare.

To date, there have been a total of 20,353 individuals diagnosed with COVID-19, an additional 376 cases were confirmed by the Health Protection Surveillance Centre on Wednesday.

In Co Clare, an increase of three brings the latest figures to 232 as of Monday. A number of these people have since recovered while individuals that have been tested in recent days are also not included in the figure.

1,890 people have died since the outbreak of the virus. 31 more deaths were confirmed by health authorities in the last twenty four hours. A second person aged between 15 to 24 has died.

Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Dr Ronan Glynn said of the country’s first 19,000 cases, 64% had recovered in the community without being admitted to hospital, a further 6% had been discharged. 70% are now “assumed to have been recovered,” Glynn stated which “is in line with what we’re seeing internationally”.

Of the 356 admissions to ICU to date, 129 remain there, 173 have been discharged and 54 have died. The median age for those admitted is 60 while 83 of the individuals had underlying conditions.

Community residential facilities have recorded an increase of 7 extra clusters now standing at 369 while in nursing homes there are now 219 clusters which is up 1. Regarding confirmed cases there are 4363 in community residential facilities and 3457 in nursing homes. 363 and 228 persons respectively have been hospitalised from community residential facilities and nursing homes while there have been 697 and 593 deaths from either facility accounting for over half of Ireland’s deaths.

Following a census of mortality carried out between April 17th and 19th, it has emerged that from January to April, 3,242 deaths had been reported in nursing homes (586 of which were COVID-19 related), 53 is disability centres (16 of which were COVID-19 related) and 21 in mental health centres (14 of which were COVID-19 related).

Dr Kathleen MacLellan, Assistant Secretary Department of Health and Chair of NPHET Vulnerable People Subgroup confirmed that the current policy for individuals being admitted to nursing homes from hospitals is that they must have swabbed two negative tests before admission.

Chief Medical Officer, Dr Tony Holohan outlined that he doesn’t anticipate current restrictions will be lifted following NPHET’s meeting on Friday.

Concern has also been expressed with the supports for Direct Provision Centres during the pandemic. Dr Holohan stated that the DP centres come under the remit of the Department of Justice.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 killian nugent oisin maunsell 1
'It's nearly time for pre-season & we're getting ready for a Munster final' - Nugent relishing Mills campaign
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.