*Photograph: John Mangan

Ireland’s death toll from COVID-19 has risen to 1,488 with a further 299 cases in the Republic and a jump of 17 in Co Clare.

Department of Health officials have said 59 more people who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 have died in the Republic of Ireland, 45 of which have been confirmed by laboratories. The total now stands at 1,159 as two cases have been de-notified.

In Northern Ireland, there have been a total of 329 lives lost meaning 1,488 people on the island of Ireland have died since the outbreak of the virus. Non-hospital settings and nursing homes are not included in the figures from Northern Ireland.

An additional 299 cases are now known, the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) has confirmed. The total amount of personnel diagnosed is now 19,947. Between 130 to 140 people are still being cared for in Intensive Care Units, Chief Medical Officer, Dr Tony Holohan confirmed.

Co Clare as of Sunday has 229 confirmed cases. It represents an increase of 17 diagnoses. Such a rise is the second highest increase in the space of 24 hours, the daily rise of 22 cases from the period of Tuesday April 21st remains the highest. The county accounts for 1.2% of cases across the country.

A total of 153,054 tests have now been carried out. Director of the National Virus Reference Laboratory, Cillian de Gascun confirmed there have been 41,470 tests conducted in the last week, 5.375 of which were positive equating at 12.9%. He said the present lab capacity is 60,000 and they expect to have a capacity of 70,000 by next week.

Dr Holohan advised that the recommendations from the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) with regard to restrictions post May 5th will be known on Friday. He acknowledged that there has been a “huge level” of compliance with the public and that patience is wearing thin. “It is important for us to do as much as we possibly can as a society”. He added “It is a long period of time that people have been asked to comply with these restrictions, we know that”.

On Tuesday, Virgin Media News reported that several patients in ICUs treated during February were diagnosed with COVID-19 and that the virus was in the country two weeks before the first case was notified to authorities. The Chief Medical Officer said he wasn’t aware of such cases but did know there was a “high level of suspicion” before a case was diagnosed.

Chief Clinical Officer with the HSE, Dr Colm Henry stated, “the case definition was different at the time”. Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Dr Ronan Glynn noted that someone could have been admitted before February 29th and “either got COVID-19 in hospital or was swabbed later than the 29th”. Dr Holohan added, “There would have many suspect cases”.

Advertisement

Related News

ambulance coast guard scariff 1
Bodyke hurler recovering after picking up head injury which forced abandonment of game vs Whitegate
jim gavin 2
Crowe rows in behind Jim Gavin to get Fianna Fáil nomination for Presidential election
1 Shannon Airport_Munster Rugby Women's Bus
Shannon Airport & Munster get new wheels ahead of Interpro final
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Latest News
st josephs miltown vs doonbeg 30-08-25 conor cleary darragh burns 1
Miltown down Doonbeg and march onto quarter-finals
João Tudella 1
Lahinch director's climate film to screen at Irish festivals
ambulance coast guard scariff 1
Bodyke hurler recovering after picking up head injury which forced abandonment of game vs Whitegate
Lunch Time Lifestyle with the Clare Echo Contributers (1)
September blooms bringing fresh colour and autumn pots to brighten your garden
lahinch ladies golf
Lahinch ladies chasing senior cup honours
Premium
feakle v newmarket-on-fergus 08-08-25 oisin donnellan 1
'Next man up' the focus in Feakle despite injury crisis
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
st josephs miltown v doonbeg 16-08-24 sean neylon eoghan killeen 1
Doonbeg & Miltown to battle it out for last remaining quarter-final spot
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.