THE year has reached its end, so let’s dive right into it. 

Here, The Clare Echo brings its readers some highlights on the year just gone. What were the biggest stories, which local characters caught our attention in 2022? It’s time for the 2022 News Year in Review.

Most read online

1 Viral Lisdoonvarna video poses questions
THE Lisdoonvarna Matchmaking Festival took a dark twist when a video of a man and woman having sex on the main street was widely circulated on social media.
A number of media outlets carried reports on the footage and subsequently a tragic outcome involving one of the people featured was reported. Speaking at a meeting of Clare’s Joint Policing Committee, Cllr Joe Killeen (FF) spoke on the dangers of sharing videos on Whatsapp and social media, adding there is a “moral responsibility of people behind the camera”.
2 Clare GAA fundraiser breaks €1m
THOUSANDS of online readers were eager to find out the winner of Clare GAA’s Win a House In Lahinch fundraiser. In May, we reported that the initiative raised over €1.1m and was won by Lahinch man Shane Curtin. Tickets were snapped in 31 of the 32 counties on the island of Ireland with no buyer from Co Derry.
3 ‘Clare should withdraw from hurling championship’
AS ALWAYS, reports on Clare GAA were consumed with interest by Clare Echo readers and 2022 was no different, with another GAA story in our top 3 most read. Former Clare TD James Breen said the county hurlers should withdraw from the championship if appeals to have suspensions of Rory Hayes and Peter Duggan were not rescinded after the Munster final.
“Clare always seem to get the rough end of the stick” he fumed, adding criticism to Sunday Game pundits Shane Dowling and Brendan Cummins for their alleged biased opinions.

Photograph: Gerard O’Neill
The stories that shocked us all

Traveller feud escalates
ENNIS has been on high alert this month with Gardai ramping up efforts to quell a “turf war”.
Gardaí at Ennis Station investigated numerous incidents including a firearm being discharged on Cloughleigh Rd, three caravans in Doora being destroyed and a grave at Drumcliffe Cemetery was firebombed, and a hit and run. Ennis Cllr Johnny Flynn (FG) told The Clare Echo, “I have a deep concern with the escalation of a turf war which is putting innocent people at risk and in particular vulnerable children in these households.”
Clare landlord’s sickening sex bid
CLARE people were praised for the welcome the extended to the Ukrainian refugees this year however it emerged in March that a Clare landlord offered accommodation to a Ukrainian woman in a sex-for-rent arrangement. The Irish Examiner first reported that a property in Clare was on offer for free to a “slim Ukrainian” woman, with an expectation of sex.
Clare TD, Cathal Crowe (FF) voiced his disgust with the conduct, “this is disgusting, abhorrent and pathetic in every way possible”.
Tragedy in Lisdoonvarna
LISDOONVARNA grandfather John O’Neill (78) was found dead at his home on January 7, in an incident that numbed the entire community and county.
He had been noted as an “intrinsic” member of the community in North Clare having operated a B&B O’Neill’s Town House with his late wife Christine since 1973. Gardaí subsequently charged a 32-year-old man, Thomas Lorigan – of no fixed abode – with the murder of at St Brendan’s Road in Lisdoonvarna.

Members of the Doora NS Student Council present Ukrainian children in Educate together with some Christmas presents. Photo by Natasha Barton
A good year for…

1 Céid Mile Fáilte
The welcome in Clare for Ukrainian people has been second to none, tipified this week by children from Doora NS who presented Christmas gifts to the Ukrainian children at the Ennis Educate Together school
2 Shannon Airport taking off
The car park is full again, new routes are being announced and passanger numbers have dramatically risen this year. Long may it continue
3 Celebrations
With the return of social gatherings, there were numerous reasons for cheer in 2022, including Michael D Higgins’ visit to mark the Samaritans turning 40 in Ennis along with the Tidy Towns win for Ennis.

Good things come to those who wait…

Puca finds its home
AFTER much controversy, An Púca was officially unveiled in North Clare in June.
On International Fairy Day, the ‘Scare of Clare’ was let loose on the people of Clare at The Michael Cusack Centre in Carron.
The unveiling came over a year on from the initial furore which saw the people of Ennistymon tear down the 2m tall bronze art piece, designed by Aidan Harte, before it was even put up. Ennistymon priest, Fr Willie Cummins from the altar described the Púca as “sinister”, a petition presented to Clare County Council contained 263 signatures from Ennistymon against the €30,000 statue. Ultimately, it was decided a new home would be needed to home Mr Púca, with the Michael Cusack Centre being given the contentious honour.

Photograph: Arthur Ellis

Muhammad Ali Plaza?
A SUPERMAC’S Plaza on the outskirts of Ennis was given the go-ahead by An Bord Pleanála in October – more than six years after plans were first lodged with Clare County Council.
The €10m plaza is to be located in Kilbreckan, Doora adjacent to junction 12 of the M18 and while Supermac’s says 120 jobs will be created within a year of development beginning, the Clare facility will not be to the same scale as the Barack Obama Plaza in Moneygall. It is the fourth application the fast-food chain made for a plaza in the Banner County. An application was marred in controversy when it emerged in 2018 that bogus letters of support were submitted to the local authority from a Clarecastle group supporting the development. It came after strong opposition from the local business community, who argued that the “excessive scale” of the development would have a “significant negative impact” on Ennis, Clarecastle and Crusheen.
Other notable developments granted planning permission included a new Aldi store in Ennis at the Westpoint Retail Park, while on the Station Road in Ennis, plans to increase the size of a primary healthcare facility were also approved by An Bord Pleanala, which would include the provision of an additional floor despite the upset of some local residents.
Meanwhile, Aldi expressed “extreme disappointment” with the decision of An Bord Pleanála to refuse them planning permission for a second time to construct a new store in Shannon.

 

Advertisement

Related News

jim gavin 2
Crowe rows in behind Jim Gavin to get Fianna Fáil nomination for Presidential election
1 Shannon Airport_Munster Rugby Women's Bus
Shannon Airport & Munster get new wheels ahead of Interpro final
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
Latest News
lahinch ladies golf
Lahinch ladies chasing senior cup honours
stephen murray cian mulrooney 1
Murray trained Bayview Wild finishes like a train
kildysart v kilmihil 29-08-25 conall casey stan lineen 1
Kildysart produce extra time kick to seal senior status & leave Kilmihil in relegation final
jim gavin 2
Crowe rows in behind Jim Gavin to get Fianna Fáil nomination for Presidential election
feakle v newmarket-on-fergus 08-08-25 oisin donnellan 1
'Next man up' the focus in Feakle despite injury crisis
Premium
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
st josephs miltown v doonbeg 16-08-24 sean neylon eoghan killeen 1
Doonbeg & Miltown to battle it out for last remaining quarter-final spot
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Shannon Airport (2)
Rail link for Shannon Airport 'can be done & it's a matter of getting it done' says Junior Minister

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.